Okay so you need to find a sponsor but DON’T PANIC, seriously you can totally do this! First let me tell you a secret, most co-operatives and credit unions are looking for youth to sponsor and are totally stoked when they have a young person *you* show up!
Check out this video! It explains the process and gives you some tips for talking to sponsors.
More tips for finding a sponsor:
1. It’s easy! Just contact a co-operative, credit union, or community organization in your area and ask for sponsorship.
2. Be prepared. Have all the information you need (registration form) ready to share with your potential sponsor. Find out if that organization sponsored participants last year by looking under SCYP Sponsors to see who sponsored youth from your area last year. If you’re nervous about asking then practice your request on someone you trust.
3. Give them all the information that’s important. Tell them all about the program, the week you want to attend, the amount of sponsorship you need, etc. Show them the brochure! You can also send the sponsor to this website to find out more about the program.
4.Offer to give something back. Past participants have given written and/or oral reports at meetings, or have volunteered for their sponsoring organization. Give the sponsor a chance to learn about what you did at the program. Don’t make any commitments you won’t keep.
5. Leave a great impression. Even if the organization doesn’t decide to sponsor you, be polite and courteous. Thank them for taking the time to listen to your request. The same organization might decide to sponsor you or someone else next year.
If you are having troubles finding a sponsor don’t worry! Contact us and the Youth Program office will be happy to help you out. We make sure that no one is turned away due to lack of sponsorship!
Here is a list of co-operative and community organizations that sponsored participants last year.
(“Tips for Finding a Sponsor” courtesy of ACCA's Co-operative Youth Program)
Organizations you can approach for sponsorship:
- Credit unions
- Retail co-operatives
- The Co-operators
- Co-operative Health Clinics
- Concentra Bank
- Access Communications Co-operative Limited
- Farmer Direct Co-operative
- A local community organization or community service co-operative